Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.
 Main Menu

ForumsSearch »

SY Nations Cup 2017

Escape Gaming

AoC Recorded Games

AoE2HD Recorded Games

AoFE Recorded Games

Major Past Tournaments

Auto downloadedFind »

Users currently online
Members (35)
»  EdFTW
»  htc
»  lkhby
»  mma96
»  Zoso
Guests (121)

AoC Clans Add yours »

Links

Ads

SYNC_ Map Feedback

Moderator:  Nonsensical

Advertisement from Google 

Re: SYNC_ Map Feedback

Postby  Spaden » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:53 pm

Every map lost its randomness which make it fairer and such, but they all lost their charm and just feel like a beta-version of arabia. When we played Austria we were all lined up next to eachother with clear positions for pocket/flank and so on. Nomad is suposed to be crazy and random.
<[BsK]Exile_> look at the courageuous creative motivational tactics
<[BsK]Exile_> nigga
<[BsK]Exile_> i know more big words
<[BsK]Exile_> than a dictiornary

[NoGs]chinge: my map straight up bald like rubens head

Spaden

2000 (49%)

Postby  MaSmOrRa » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:17 am

I haven't watched a single game on this new Nomad, but just by reading through the comments in this thread, I can tell what a thankless job admins have...

How often in the past have teams complained that Nomad is too random of a map and should as such be completely left out from serious tournaments?
Now that people try to tackle the randomness of it by making it more fair, players complain it lost its charm...
 MaSmOrRa

Postby  Nicov » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:55 am

10 Jul 2017, 23:17 GMT » MaSmOrRa wrote:
I haven't watched a single game on this new Nomad, but just by reading through the comments in this thread, I can tell what a thankless job admins have...

How often in the past have teams complained that Nomad is too random of a map and should as such be completely left out from serious tournaments?
Now that people try to tackle the randomness of it by making it more fair, players complain it lost its charm...

The only things to be fixed in nomad are the resources distribution (fish, gold). Also some extra food in land.

I don't see what's the point removing the randomness in the land-water generation. If nomad sucks for tournaments its just because usually one team has 25 gold piles and the other 2 or 3. Plus the "team together" villagers spawn also kind of ruins what a nomad game is supposed to be.
[17:58] [_SY_]Yo__ says:
hey ur mom flying on the sky check it out

[03:56] [_SY_]Yo__ says:
[13:34] TheByeByeMan says: tell me if ur up for 1v1

[03:57] [_SY_]Yo__ says:
i am pretending afk
 Nicov
Top 1v1 player

2098 (59%)

Postby  Influenza » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:30 am

10 Jul 2017, 21:43 GMT » SMB360 wrote:
I'm told that SY and one of the Brazilian teams are actually really happy with SYNC_Nomad btw. That doesn't mean I think it shares the spirit of vanilla Nomad, though, because it clearly doesn't, but it wouldn't be the only map in the pool to be significantly different to its standard counterpart - see Mongolia, Black Forest, etc.

Hmm... I wonder why the strongest teams of the tournament are happy with the least predictable map of aoc suddenly becoming far more predictable. :o :shock: :o

While you may have made significant changes to other maps as well, like making mongolia and BF more open, removing pond/extra boar, you have to be kidding yourself to pretend that what you did to nomad is even remotely comparable to the other maps...

@ masmorra

I don't think I've heard that complaint at all, but I do remember some (justified) complaints in the previous tg tournament due to the bo7 settings having a possibility of 5 games in a row of a nomad start map, and I believe we saw 3 in a row nomad start games multiple times in the tournament. You might just be having some bad flashbacks to when you and taff were admins :twisted:
StressedOut: u guys are like husbandry and wife
 Influenza

Postby  kw1k000000 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:14 am

12 Jul 2017, 05:30 GMT » Influenza wrote:
I'm told that SY and one of the Brazilian teams are actually really happy with SYNC_Nomad btw. That doesn't mean I think it shares the spirit of vanilla Nomad, though, because it clearly doesn't, but it wouldn't be the only map in the pool to be significantly different to its standard counterpart - see Mongolia, Black Forest, etc.

Hmm... I wonder why the strongest teams of the tournament are happy with the least predictable map of aoc suddenly becoming far more predictable. :o :shock: :o

While you may have made significant changes to other maps as well, like making mongolia and BF more open, removing pond/extra boar, you have to be kidding yourself to pretend that what you did to nomad is even remotely comparable to the other maps...

@ masmorra

I don't think I've heard that complaint at all, but I do remember some (justified) complaints in the previous tg tournament due to the bo7 settings having a possibility of 5 games in a row of a nomad start map, and I believe we saw 3 in a row nomad start games multiple times in the tournament. You might just be having some bad flashbacks to when you and taff were admins :twisted:

You are right. War Is Coming sets were having 3-4 land nomad games in a row. It went to the point of being boring.

What I don't understand is that why we tinker maps right before the start of a big tournament instead of sticking with tested existing ones. Why not fix a map well before and get it tested rather than throw it untested in tournament and hope.
ImageAll hail, the king of aoc! Image

Tyrant_DauT
 kw1k000000

1649 (55%)

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  SMB360 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:02 pm

A version 2 Nomad is being considered, exact stage of introduction to be confirmed by the admins, along with whether or not it will replace or sit alongside the current SYNC_Nomad as a home map choice.

In honour of (iran) (usa) Flu this test version is codenamed MOANAD. Please see below for example generations and a download link.

- min villager distance from 'spot' increased
- max villager distance from 'spot' increased
- variable landmass with connected and/or unconnected middle water possibility
- minor tuning of resources to suit altered landmass
- better scaling of water/land distribution across 1v1/2v2/3v3/4v4

Attachments
Moanad.rms
(8.98 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
 SMB360

1624 (51%)

Postby  dogao » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:22 pm

I dont think changing a map 2 weeks right before knock out stage starts is a good idea. :roll:
 dogao
Expert Player

2520 (72%)

Postby  MaSmOrRa » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 am

12 Jul 2017, 05:30 GMT » Influenza wrote:

@ masmorra

lol I appreciate the not-so-subtle jab at me there at the end :lol:
For the record, the only tournaments I consider myself to have been an actual Admin of are the TEL series where I got to decide everything I wanted to do with the rules. During all those other tournaments, I was mostly there to create and update tables, write rules, chase players for recorded games and scheduling purposes, etc...So yeah you're right, I don't miss that part at all! :lol:

Back to topic, I do remember a couple of prominent people complaining about no-tc start maps in general and pointing to the fact that there needs to be so many extra rules to make those maps somewhat playable as a sign they are not suited for competitive play. Not saying I agree, but I've definitely read that criticism a lot around here. Admittedly, all I have to back this up is my memory since I wouldn't even know where and how to start looking for those old posts! :mrgreen:

But my point was that you can't just please everybody as an Admin. As SMB has mentioned and you conceded, some teams did like the changes that were made. And though I understand that a fantastic Nomad player such as yourself doesn't want to see the map changed, I think there's a case to be made that Nomad could use a bit more fairness in the resources distribution and villagers spawning placement. I can't really assess whether that was correctly tackled or not in this new version because I confess I haven't seen yet any game in the new map.
 MaSmOrRa

Postby  iViktorius » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:27 am

[Show] Spoiler:
  16 Jul 2017, 22:02 GMT » SMB360 wrote:
A version 2 Nomad is being considered, exact stage of introduction to be confirmed by the admins, along with whether or not it will replace or sit alongside the current SYNC_Nomad as a home map choice.

In honour of (iran) (usa) Flu this test version is codenamed MOANAD. Please see below for example generations and a download link.

Now these are some fine looking nomads ;)
The immortal words from Tetraides to Klavs who is dying to Speer's trush: "The only part you walled is the part he didn't attack you from"
 iViktorius

Postby  DFH_Risque » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:44 pm

16 Jul 2017, 22:02 GMT » SMB360 wrote:

that would be a dream if the map goes that way!
 DFH_Risque
Top Player

PreviousNext

Return to Rules & Settings