Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.
 Main Menu

ForumsSearch »

SY Nations Cup 2017

Escape Gaming

AoC Recorded Games

AoE2HD Recorded Games

AoFE Recorded Games

Major Past Tournaments

Auto downloadedFind »

Users currently online
Members (24)
»  Hico
»  wgf
Guests (113)

AoC Clans Add yours »

Links

Ads

A Guide for Beginners

Game tutorials, strategies, tips & tricks
Advertisement from Google 

Re: A Guide for Beginners

Postby  Marathon » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:50 am

In Cysion's "Outside the Box" page, you can find interesting info about farming. For instance, it says that farms to the east are better than farms to the west due to the assymetry of TC structure.
 Marathon

Postby  Revenge of the Noobs » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:44 am

01 Nov 2014, 01:50 GMT » Marathon wrote:
In Cysion's "Outside the Box" page, you can find interesting info about farming. For instance, it says that farms to the east are better than farms to the west due to the assymetry of TC structure.

Not asymmetry of TC structure, it's the fact that farming vills only work on the left side of the farm, so if they're on the east side of the TC or a mill, they'll be closer to the dropoff point when they're done collecting food.

I'd also really recommend Chris's e-book for anyone that wants to improve and has $10 to spare. There's a lot of really useful info in there on cost-effectiveness of upgrades, how many of what unit you need to counter X many enemy units, how to micro your units, tips and tricks on different things like how to deal with people trying to steal your boars or how to save a boar luring vill that isn't going to make it back to the TC alive. I know people like to pick on this book on AOCZone, but IMO it will save new people a lot of games trying to figure this stuff out for themselves.
 Revenge of the Noobs

Postby  PracticeX » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:49 am

This is a very helpful guide! Thanks a lot!
 PracticeX

Postby  Sky95 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:46 pm

there is a mistake in this guide :O
you start with 3 standart gold piles. one large pile of 7 tiles of gold and 2x 4 tiles of gold.
 Sky95

1602 (51%)

Postby  Marathon » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:15 pm

01 Nov 2014, 03:44 GMT » Revenge of the Noobs wrote:
Not asymmetry of TC structure, it's the fact that farming vills only work on the left side of the farm, so if they're on the east side of the TC or a mill, they'll be closer to the dropoff point when they're done collecting food.

No, the center of a 3v3 building is the central tile, but for 2x2 buildings the center lies on the intersection among all tiles, so the game in such a case always selects as center the eastern tile of the ones that are on the intersection. In the case of TC, it is the eastern one of the 4 central ones, and if you see villagers how they try to drop food you will see it.
Test if you want, put a mill to the west of TC and a sheep between them, a bit closer to TC. You will see it then.

The thing you mentioned about farmers working on the left side of the farm is something that I have not noticed, but could be true, who knows? What I mention above, is tested and verified.
 Marathon

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  panda » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:51 pm

how do i download these recorded games to my aoe2 so i can watch them ? :)
 panda

Postby  teutonic_tanks » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:56 pm

06 Jan 2015, 21:51 GMT » panda wrote:
how do i download these recorded games to my aoe2 so i can watch them ? :)

on left side there are 'AoC recorded games' just pick one category and u will find lots of recorded games
for example here.... viewforum.php?f=756
then u can klick on a game and download it; usually you have to unzip it and if u copy them in your AoC folder under: Age of Empires II / Savegames u can watch them :)
 teutonic_tanks

Postby  SalafiKnight » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:19 pm

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and am an avid fan of AoE2 (with all its expansions). I would like to ask, since I can't find what I'm looking for, which section (or recorded games of specific players) are good for beginners? Games that show how to manage well and advance quickly and maintaining that pace up until the battle begins in Imperial and how to keep it going.

Thank you very much! All help is appreciated.
 SalafiKnight

Postby  Gary Internet » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:31 pm

This site is essential for developing your knowledge of the game. Add it to your bookmarks now.

http://aocstats.aocpip.eu/
 Gary Internet

Postby  Shmolagin » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:30 am

12 Jun 2015, 16:19 GMT » SalafiKnight wrote:
Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and am an avid fan of AoE2 (with all its expansions). I would like to ask, since I can't find what I'm looking for, which section (or recorded games of specific players) are good for beginners? Games that show how to manage well and advance quickly and maintaining that pace up until the battle begins in Imperial and how to keep it going.

Thank you very much! All help is appreciated.

YouTube is an invaluable tool for starting. Zeroempires has a number of good videos casting expert games as well as his zero to hero series. BBQ turkman also has some tutorials. Watching some of those videos and playing online (Voobly new player lobby is best)is a good way to start. TheViper's stream and youtube offers the most insight but he doesn't have as much content made.
 Shmolagin

1623 (49%)

PreviousNext

Return to Articles and Guides