Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.
 Main Menu

ForumsSearch »

SY Nations Cup 2017

Escape Gaming

Badlands Masters

AoC Recorded Games

AoE2HD Recorded Games

AoFE Recorded Games

Major Past Tournaments

Auto downloadedFind »

Users currently online
Members (59)
»  _4u_
»  Bacan
»  Fall
»  mazq
»  mmXy0
»  Yacal
»  Zoso
Guests (162)

AoC Clans Add yours »

Links

Ads

"A Crimson Storm" - Medieval Fiction

Hang out and relax, everyday discussions, chit-chat, off-topic, wololo
Advertisement from Google 

Re: "A Crimson Storm" - Medieval Fiction

Postby  BlotchedyDooDah » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:01 pm

Innovation > Fundamentalism
 BlotchedyDooDah

1292 (34%)

Postby  BlotchedyDooDah » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Much better quality map

Only now do I realise that a corner of the page is folded over :(
 BlotchedyDooDah

1292 (34%)

Postby BMAPC187 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:40 pm

here is an interview with the author of "crimson storm":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7OLSgkiQfQ
111111 epic beginning
BMAPC187

Postby  BlotchedyDooDah » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:45 pm

14 Mar 2017, 21:40 GMT » BMAPC187 wrote:
here is an interview with the author of "crimson storm":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7OLSgkiQfQ
111111 epic beginning

Why is this relevant :lol: :lol: :lol:
 BlotchedyDooDah

1292 (34%)

Postby  _InDuS__novice » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:15 am

11 Mar 2017, 20:58 GMT » BlotchedyDooDah wrote:
Hello all,
I know it's been a while since I graced you all with my noobiness, but don't worry, I've been lurking in the shadows.

And I know, I know, I never finished "Janshai". But I have a reason for that!
I've just finished reading the (so far incomplete) A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin, which has inspired me to have another crack at writing something.

Ok, so my reason for not finishing "Janshai":
George R.R. Martin said something along the lines of "when I know exactly what's going to happen in a story, I lose all interest in writing it", and I think that holds true. I knew exactly what was going to happen, so I lost all interest in writing it. Simple as that, really.

---

But now, I've started a new writing project, one that I hope will be much better than "Janshai" was. I'm going to leave the plot a lot more open-ended this time around, so that the intrigue is there for me as well.

I've drawn a full map for the world in which A Crimson Storm is set, but it's in my notepad, so I can't show it as of the moment, but I guess I'll photograph it when I can.

The Map

It would be great if you could read through what I write, and give me some feedback about anything, whether it's the plot, or the characters, or my writing style, or even just enjoy the story if you want.

I may still revisit the chapters I've already written, in fact I definitely will when my writing improves, hopefully to make the characters more defined, so nothing is final.

---

Chapters:
Arthur I
Harper I
Stanley I
Charles I

The problem with GRRM's writing is that it would be insanely hard to finish a story you started. Yeah it has it's benefits, but if you always keep on doing that, it will be insanely hard to bring together all the plot points in the end.

Wheel of time, was a similar thing I think, thinking laterally and coming up with so many different plot points got to a point where it was insanely hard to give a satisfactory ending to the story. The final book was nowhere near the first 6-7. But I could be wrong, since it was written by Brandon Sanderson(the last book) and not Robert Jordan.

GL with your books man! I think it might be a good idea to roughly know where you are going at the very least.
 _InDuS__novice

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  BlotchedyDooDah » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:01 pm

Jaeger I

Couple of notes:
1. I've completely reconstructed the history of Storm Island, and that's reflected in some of the chapters, particularly Arthur I
2. Harper I is now obsolete, I'm about 70% through writing a whole new chapter from a different PoV to replace it

- - - - -

_InDuS__novice wrote:
The problem with GRRM's writing is that it would be insanely hard to finish a story you started. Yeah it has it's benefits, but if you always keep on doing that, it will be insanely hard to bring together all the plot points in the end.

Wheel of time, was a similar thing I think, thinking laterally and coming up with so many different plot points got to a point where it was insanely hard to give a satisfactory ending to the story. The final book was nowhere near the first 6-7. But I could be wrong, since it was written by Brandon Sanderson(the last book) and not Robert Jordan.

GL with your books man! I think it might be a good idea to roughly know where you are going at the very least.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, and it's a fair point, but this will almost certainly be a lot, lot shorter than either A Song of Ice and Fire or Wheel of Time and not near as complex (I've not read the latter, but in 6-7 books it's going to be quite complicated).

I've formed a vague plan in my head, and a loose endpoint, but I've left my options wide open as to how to get to that endpoint.

Have you read what's been written so far? If so, I'd love some feedback :)
 BlotchedyDooDah

1292 (34%)

Postby  BlotchedyDooDah » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:48 pm

Richard I to replace Harper I
 BlotchedyDooDah

1292 (34%)

Postby  BlotchedyDooDah » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:47 pm

The Battle of Stagmouth Bridge (Largely unrevised)
Richard II
Wallyce Boyce

-----

A note to my vast number of dedicated readers - the Wallyce chapter is the first chapter of what will likely be a handful of such chapters throughout the story, where characters are given standalone PoV chapters in order to give an optimal narration for a certain event, in this case the Battle of Stagmouth Bridge.

-----

I think these chapters are some of my best work so far, so please read them and I hope you enjoy :)
 BlotchedyDooDah

1292 (34%)

Postby  BlotchedyDooDah » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:16 pm

EDIT; Formattinggggg
 BlotchedyDooDah

1292 (34%)

Postby  BlotchedyDooDah » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Charles II