Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.
 Main Menu

ForumsSearch »

SY Nations Cup 2017

Escape Gaming

AoC Recorded Games

AoE2HD Recorded Games

AoFE Recorded Games

Major Past Tournaments

Auto downloadedFind »

Users currently online
Staff (1)
»  _PkZ_
Members (50)
»  _JP_
»  GriN
»  Sney
Guests (149)

AoC Clans Add yours »

Links

Ads

Auto research cartography

Take part in AoFE discussions, share strategies and gaming experience
Advertisement from Google 

Auto research cartography

Postby  Coffee » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:28 pm

Here's a question for the forgotten devs. I know it's been discussed to make cartography auto research and though the idea is widely liked it was not implemented due to the trouble it causes in scenarios(Sometimes the technology is removed by the author of a scenario).

Would a simple solution be to create a separate scenario only market building that has the clickable(and then removable via tech tree add/remove) cartography tech?

alternatively since that might mean map creators would have to update there maps to add the new building, maybe create the new market for normal single/multiplayer play.

Visually and functionally the same just, but a different name in the editor and of course the difference in how the tech is researched. I hate seeing such a good idea go by the wayside due to a scenario situation. Single, multi, and custom maps are all important but multiplayer is usually what keeps games going. Thanks for your consideration.
 Coffee

Re: Auto research cartography

Postby  Cysion » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:30 pm

We felt it would be an unnecessary hassle to include a specific tech for scenarios. Not to mention it would break a lot of existing scenarios (which was the main concern). Bottom line is that we felt it was a good compromise: not breaking anything, no extra hassle (on coding, data editing and scenario design) and we still got what we wanted, which is free carto. Just one extra click, but at least you're saving precious food and gold :)
Cysion Tripping: cysion.be/blog | Aocbox: cysion.be/aocbox

Life is short. Kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly. Happiness is the travel, not a destination.
 Cysion
AoFE developer

Postby  CJ92 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:40 am

Couldn't you put it as a hidden civ bonus for every civ - like how if you build a blacksmith as Magyars you automatically get the cavalry attack upgrades? So if you build a market you automatically get cartography.
 CJ92

Postby  Coffee » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:50 pm

06 Aug 2015, 21:30 GMT » Cysion wrote:
We felt it would be an unnecessary hassle to include a specific tech for scenarios. Not to mention it would break a lot of existing scenarios (which was the main concern). Bottom line is that we felt it was a good compromise: not breaking anything, no extra hassle (on coding, data editing and scenario design) and we still got what we wanted, which is free carto. Just one extra click, but at least you're saving precious food and gold :)

Definitely agree, overall I am just glad to have it. Maybe not worth the time spent coding it, but just in theory, would my second idea be possible without harming scenarios? Basically this new market would become the default for random maps replacing the standard market. If you were in an editor you would see market which is in all the scenarios now, and then you could see in the list market(RM) or something to distinguish an actual different building. So again in theory, could that work without harming things?
 Coffee

Postby  Cysion » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:34 pm

Actually it wouldn't, because once people play the scenario, they would have access to building their "standard" market again. Which would trigger the free carto upgrade if they built it during gameplay. Not to mention we'd still need extra code because trade carts would have to work with both markets :P

@CJ92: it's indeed very easy to implement, but that way wouldn't be possible to disable in custom scenarios either.
Cysion Tripping: cysion.be/blog | Aocbox: cysion.be/aocbox

Life is short. Kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly. Happiness is the travel, not a destination.
 Cysion
AoFE developer

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  Coffee » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:48 pm

07 Aug 2015, 14:34 GMT » Cysion wrote:
Actually it wouldn't, because once people play the scenario, they would have access to building their "standard" market again. Which would trigger the free carto upgrade if they built it during gameplay. Not to mention we'd still need extra code because trade carts would have to work with both markets :P

@CJ92: it's indeed very easy to implement, but that way wouldn't be possible to disable in custom scenarios either.

Yes I suppose you are right, each author would have to remove that market from being allowed to be built. In that case it's one click for the author instead of us ;) I understand there would be coding to make it happen, but anything worth doing takes work! I just wanted to discuss these two options(haven't seen this anywhere else yet) and see what you thought. I guess I'm out of new ideas for now :roll:
 Coffee

Return to General AoFE Discussion