Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.
 Main Menu

ForumsSearch »

SY Nations Cup 2017

Escape Gaming

AoC Recorded Games

AoE2HD Recorded Games

AoFE Recorded Games

Major Past Tournaments

Auto downloadedFind »

Users currently online
Members (45)
»  [x]
»  Alvik
»  Ator
»  Evad
»  GriN
»  htc
»  Jevo
»  Jupe
»  lkhby
»  may_
»  Poxo
Guests (139)

AoC Clans Add yours »

Links

Ads

Are Italians Too OP?

Take part in AoFE discussions, share strategies and gaming experience
Advertisement from Google 

Are Italians Too OP?

Postby  _Embers » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:21 am

I submit this question to all of the community. There are lot of great changes with the 3.1 patch I would first like to say. The question though, is if others think Italians are too OP among the new civs?

They're somewhat of a god civ now it seems in imp imo. Should there be any slight nerfs to their condottieros and/or uu's? Mainly I was just surrprised when I played an aofe closed map Oasis game against Italian recently & their mix of whopping 90 hp condottieros, genoese xbowmen, & bombard cannons just wiped the floor with my army, which was composed of onagers, heavy scorps, fully armored skirms (geno xbow w/ pavise upgrade slaughtered very badly), and mag huszar. Just wanted to know others' opinions on this topic.
 _Embers

Re: Are Italians Too OP?

Postby  _Embers » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:48 am

Back to discuss: my impression remains the same of them. And would love to hear from people that agree or disagree with me, to whatever extent. My main concern still as I mentioned is the Genoese archer ability to counter skirms by such a wide margin in equal numbers, with their armor fully upgraded, seemed overpowered. Plus I noticed Condottiero get armor bonus upgrades vs infantry? Makes it where only army to counter them is very heavy siege (Celt or Mongol(?)) or far range (Briton or Turk army), or Slav, or Japan? I was literally stumped to face this army the other day... most civs would have to go heavy into gold to face them late I'm thinking.
 _Embers

Postby  Carlos Ferdinand » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:22 am

Can you list their bonuses/team bonus?
No_Re_I_Go_Eat_ says:
if u get 2k i break up with lavie

Carlos Ferdinand

1837 (51%)

Postby  _Embers » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:13 am

Italian Civ Bonuses:

-Age up 10% cheaper
-Fishing Ships +2 LOS
-Dock techs 50% off
-Hand cannoneers 15% off
-Caravan free (Carto free in AoFE)

Team Bonus:

Team gets Condottiero available at Barracks in Imperial Age (60 food, 25 gold)

Unique techs:

- Silk Road - Trade carts 50% cheaper (500 food, 250 gold)
- Pavise - +1/+1 melee/pierce armor for Genoese Xbow (550 food, 300 gold)

Unique Unit: Genoese Crossbow (50 wood, 50 gold) (900 food, 750 gold for Elite Upgrade, but age ups cheaper gives a food and gold surplus to Italians to use once up ages) Anti-Cavalry Foot Archer, 7 range, 10 Attack fully up'd, 5/5 melee & pierce armor, don't know about any bonus or hidden armor for them?)

Full Archery tech tree except for Heavy Cav Archer & Parthian Tactics

Full Infantry tech tree except for Halbs, & Condottiero; 90 hp fast anti gunpowder (attack bonus vs)/anti archer (+6
pierce armor fully upgraded) unit, with new changes being speed increase, bonus armor vs Infantry, and a +10 food, -10 gold cost-fix added in new patch (AoFE 3.1 changelog: http://www.aoczone.net/viewtopic.php?p=382779)

Missing Paladin & Hussar in Cavalry Line but has everything else, Bloodlines, Husbandry, etc

Full Dock line except for Heavy Demo Ships

Full Defense Line, Full Tower Line, have Bombard Towers
Full Monastery Line except for Heresy
Full Castle Line except for Sappers
Bit Weak on Siege, have no Siege Rams or Siege Onagers, but have Bombard Cannon

Full Blacksmith Techs
Full University except for Siege Engineers
Full Eco Techs except for Gold Shaft Mine
Full Market Techs
 _Embers

Postby  Carlos Ferdinand » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:29 am

How do Arbs fare against genoese? I would think they'd do well (70 res vs 100 res)... Mix arbs and elite skirms maybe?

Mayans can do full plumed. Goths can do husks and champs (I thought condottiero was anti-HC infantry not anti-infantry infantry). Chinese chuks should beat them. Celt can simply do lots of woads.
Last edited by  Carlos Ferdinand on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
No_Re_I_Go_Eat_ says:
if u get 2k i break up with lavie

Carlos Ferdinand

1837 (51%)

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  robo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:31 am

So you are complaining about a fan made mod that hardly anyone plays?

They look to be above average in post imp, but any of the deathball or bbt civs shouldn't have too much of a problem.

At a glance just going palading + onager (w/ siege engineers ideally) should do well.
 robo

1706 (51%)

Postby  _Embers » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:36 pm

Thanks for the replies, I will test some of these scenarios out. I have not played that many games on this new 3.1 patch, but Italians late game when I played vs them struck me as very powerful in a closed map scenario. If onagers do decent splash damage to the Gbow though, I suppose paladins would most likely clean it up as you are saying.
 _Embers

Postby  iViktorius » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:40 pm

10 Nov 2015, 08:13 GMT » _Embers wrote:
[u] bonus armor vs Infantry

Condotierro dont get armor vs infantry. They get +10 armor vs anti-infantry bonus attacks. So the units that have a bonus vs infantry are less usefull. For example the attack bonus from Hand Cannoneers and the non-elite Jaguar Warriors (+10) gets nullified and the attack bonus from Elite Cataphract (+12) gets reduced to +2.

Conclusion, heavy infantry like champs, TK, Sams, still do very well vs condos
The immortal words from Tetraides to Klavs who is dying to Speer's trush: "The only part you walled is the part he didn't attack you from"
 iViktorius

Postby  Aguruchi » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:25 pm

I don't think Italians are OP.
The combo you mentioned that they used are all gold-units, not to mention a need for castle(s). Perhaps not as gold intensive as others, but any reasonable combo with palas (or just full palas if there aren't many genoese xbows) should have no issues dealing with Italians.
I'd also like to add that they age up -15% w/ AOKA. Which is a good change imo 'cause -10% was sorta indifferent, that extra 5% makes it noticable though.
"I know only one thing. That I know nothing.''
Socrates. 2,5 milleniums ago.
 Aguruchi

Return to General AoFE Discussion