Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.
 Main Menu

ForumsSearch »

Escape Gaming

EGC #1: Strike the Balance

Gladiators of the Arena

Europe 3v3

AoC Recorded Games

AoE2HD Recorded Games

AoFE Recorded Games

Major Past Tournaments

Auto downloadedFind »

Users currently online
Members (52)
»  _JB_
»  BruZi
»  cort
»  ebbu
»  serv
»  Xtasy
Guests (105)

AoC Clans Add yours »

Links

Ads

1v1 hun war

Daily recorded games

Moderator:  fallingstar

Advertisement from Google 

Re: 1v1 hun war

Postby  SMB360 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:55 am

Assuming you were red? There wasn't much to pick up on (for someone like myself who doesn't have anything like an expert's read on the game) because it was pretty solid on the whole, so all I've got is little eco/base optimisation things.

- Sheep micro at beginning. I guess it was probably just an unfortunate mistake, but 2nd sheep was kinda blocking vils coming out of the TC to get to the 1st sheep that you were eating, which caused a vil to get stuck when she popped out the TC, and then kill the 2nd one because she couldn't get to the 1st one.
- I personally would have gone for that side wood for first LC rather than the front. It was a little closer, more easy to defend, and not on a hill, but I suppose that taking the front wood would eventually mean that you were concentrating more of your base layout on your front main gold, which isn't a bad idea, I suppose.
- Berry vil micro. You had one gathering from the far side of the bushes, so he had to walk all the way around.
- It's really dangerous to lure a far boar in HD without Loom because you have to be a good judge of the command lag for getting your vil to turn back as soon as possible upon firing the second shot.
- It's more optimal to build your first farms on the right of the TC. Farmers never enter the right quadrant of the farm, which means they spend more time on the left side of it, so putting your first farms to the right of a TC or mill gathers food ever so slightly faster.
- Sheep killed outside of TC. I think it was probably down to you losing that vil and not quite watching over things quite as much for a moment because of that. However, once you accidentally killed a sheep outside of TC, you left the remaining one next to the dead one but even further away. I would move it back into TC to make sure that after the vils have already killed one sheep outside, they don't go and kill another one even further away afterwards.
- Military building placement. You put your rax almost to the forest, but not quite, then left a 1 tile gap to your stable, then your range floating somewhere behind. I personally would go flush against the forest with the rax and then make sure everything else was adjacent to start walling off a bit, especially as this would have offered your main gold and wood line some protection from the left side in early Feudal. Maybe you couldn't place the buildings flush against the forest or each other because of the hills, idk, but if so a couple of tiles of palisades dropped in between are well worth it.
- When you moved a bunch more vils to gold after you'd got your ranges up, you needed to distribute vils better either side of your camp, and probably build a second camp, really, because there was so much bumping and trapping going on.
- You had an over-abundance of food whilst going up to Castle Age, and continued to have that for the next few minutes. I think you needed to add more vils to wood at that point. A third LC on the left side would have been good imo (with a little palisade wall to the edge of the map).
 SMB360

1693 (52%)

Postby  Mahou » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:10 am

Yes, that vill loss was unfortunate. I was talking to a few buddies of mine that I have made along my adventures of learning the game better, and they claim that loom shouldn't ever be chosen until you reach 21 villagers (including 1 scout for 22 pop). Ideally, I love to shoot for it, but sometimes I have to make a fair judgement on boar placement. I disagreed with a few others because I always thought it was loom is situational upgrade (i.e. if the boar is super far and all 8 sheep have been collected after scouting...so you can't use sheep to block at this point, or you don't have enough food to keep vill production). The HD lag is real, but I have learned to deal with it in most spots.

Farm placements I have been taught. I'm not sure why I didn't try placing the farms correctly this game. I will definitely work on that.

Lumber Camps was my biggest pain. I had a very hard time distributing out my wood considering the position I was looking at. The only reason why I chose to put my lumber forward instead of back is because I didn't want to protect my wood and gold from too far. I was thinking, "If I get put under pressure, I could easily tower up and protect gold/part of my wood." If the wood is separate (which imo, it was kind of far), I would have to worry about two points of my map.

I usually use palisides while I'm playing..but judging his economy, place , and time, I did not feel he was a threat nor did I feel like my resources were in danger. I did put two spears near wood just in case he tried to be sneaky.
 Mahou

1529 (40%)

Postby  robo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:32 am

22 Apr 2015, 01:10 GMT » Mahou wrote:
Yes, that vill loss was unfortunate. I was talking to a few buddies of mine that I have made along my adventures of learning the game better, and they claim that loom shouldn't ever be chosen until you reach 21 villagers (including 1 scout for 22 pop). Ideally, I love to shoot for it, but sometimes I have to make a fair judgement on boar placement. I disagreed with a few others because I always thought it was loom is situational upgrade (i.e. if the boar is super far and all 8 sheep have been collected after scouting...so you can't use sheep to block at this point, or you don't have enough food to keep vill production). The HD lag is real, but I have learned to deal with it in most spots.

That is only a best situation. It's better to do loom early then to lose a vil or idle your tc.

Especially on HD, where the lag is bad, if the boar isn't really close loom beforehand. On voobly you can easily wait until just before click up.
 robo

1706 (51%)

Postby  SMB360 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:38 am

Yep, only having to defend one place for wood/gold can be really helpful, it's what I was referring to. Also, yeah, you were always in control of that game! Re. the Loom, it does make such a difference if you can get it late. I found that when I first tried Voobly and realised that no-Loom lures could be routine rather than a luxury. The difference in overall eco by delaying Loom is huge, so I agree with you, only get it early when you need it, it's just that HD lag means it's not worth the risk trying not to get it, sometimes (far from always).
 SMB360

1693 (52%)

Postby  coLtApxthy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:26 am

22 Apr 2015, 00:04 GMT » Mahou wrote:
AoC is relatively cheap. Should I get the original cds?

This wouldnt make sense to get it again if u can play with Steam HD version on voobly. I do that and it works perfectly fine. Here is the link

http://www.aoccs.net/aochd
[15:09]<saymyname> eating chicken make me chicken too
<jugband@SpectatorChat> i wish to be nicovs horse, i want nicov to ride me
[_SY_]fengxin: me old no like 1v1
St4rk_: 24
[_SY_]fengxin: friend call me play no play kill me
<[_SY_]fengxin> i no sleep is die
 coLtApxthy

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  Nonsensical » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:32 am

Watched first 16 or so minutes of the rec and just noticed a few things that haven't been mentioned as of yet:

1. Farming with full hp villager, not a big deal, but would be better to perhaps start with the lowest hp vill with a farm behind TC.
2. You went up at essentially 23 population, since you lost a villager. You can get away with 22 population + early loom. 21 pop is quite difficult if you get loom early on, unless you have deer etc. Really want to reach feudal with a 22 pop time at the latest if you're going scouts.
3. Wood villagers - you pulled two off to build the stable, leaving you with 8 on wood at the lumbercamps. You had a few extra villagers working on stragglers at the TC, probably just a bit more efficient in terms of build to have 10 working at the lumbercamps.

None of these are really big issues - although the 23 pop time will probably hurt a lot more once you start playing on Voobly. It's better to go up on 21 pop (essentially 22 pop time after losing a villager), than to have the extra eco, unless you're going to be walled, and very very safe.
"I don't have the big D, I have the small D" - dogao
 Nonsensical

Postby  HighFlyer » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:26 pm

K so one thing b4 i get into it.

1 - your opponent had a horrific map. The poor bugger.

But to business.

Anyway - so you took the front wood. generally a really bad idea. It didn't bite you this time but your opponent was clearly worse than you. But in the future on a map like that I would defiantly split my lumber.

Now with a forward main I liked where you put your rax / stable / archeries. and good job getting town watch.

Also you made 3 scouts and went straight to archers. and your up time was 24 minutes - when it should be about 21-22 minutes

The reason is how late you went to full feudal farm eco (ie 13 - 15 farms) you were on nine farms till like the 18 minute mark. which is about when you want to click up. I'd say get your farms up sooner.

Also you were really late to get ca production going(i'm including the x bows). Or to place another tc, after 22 minutes of feudal war I personally aim for 1 tc put down - all upgrades(bodkin, 2nd wood and 2nd gold- assuming i got bloodlines already) - 4 archs immediately if my eco has not been raided. With raiding all of that goes out the window ofc.

Other than that you only had 8 wood cutters at your lumber off of 22 pop you want 10 and 21 pop 9. And severall of the things other people mentioned
 HighFlyer

1552 (48%)

Previous

Return to Daily games