Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.
 Main Menu

ForumsSearch »

SY Nations Cup 2017

Escape Gaming

AoC Recorded Games

AoE2HD Recorded Games

AoFE Recorded Games

Major Past Tournaments

Auto downloadedFind »

Users currently online
Members (27)
»  Hico
»  mma96
»  Rumpi
»  Zoso
Guests (129)

AoC Clans Add yours »

Links

Ads

Filtering on "View new posts" via user defined filters

Suggestions for AoCZone website
Advertisement from Google 

Re: Filtering on "View new posts" via user defined filters

Postby  kw1k000000 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:40 pm

06 Jun 2017, 20:20 GMT » SethGecko wrote:
Of course, a server side solution would be best. Until then, I have quickly written a script which hides recorded games from being shown on the View new posts page. Feel free to use or improve it: AoCZone Cleaner

INSTALL

1.1 Firefox: Install the Greasemonkey add-on
    1.2 Chromium/Chrome: Install the Tampermonkey extension

Install one of the three AoC Cleaner versions:
    (installing more than one is possible. Make sure to enable only one in *monkey)

2.1 AoCZone Cleaner
    -> hides topics from most of the Recorded Games sections (look into the code to see which forums are hidden)
    -> doesn't hide topics from the tournament sections since there are useful topics sometimes

2.2 AoCZone Cleaner Strict
    -> additionally hides all Recorded Games sections of the board
    -> well, actually, it hides a topic if the corresponding list element contains the string "Recorded Games"

2.3 AoCZone Cleaner Strict (+ Scheduling)
    -> additionally hides all Scheduling topics
    -> careful: a topic is hidden if it contains the string "Scheduling"

Upon clicking one of the three links, an install dialog should open.

If you want to disable the script temporarily, just hit the monkey button on the top right and refresh the website.

Thanks. I briefly tested this on my personal PC yesterday and it works. However for mobile devices and machines where you can't install extensions (workplace) a server/site wise solution would be needed.

06 Jun 2017, 20:33 GMT » rmgracht wrote:
I think it could be good to have this option available. Although on the other hand it does slightly take the credit away from the recorded game posters... In this scenario there will be even less comments on RG posts.

I am only requesting this as an option so it becomes a user choice if he wants to see or not. For people who are not interested in this its more of an annoyance than anything else. If this ever gets implemented then by default all the posts should be appearing like they are now BUT user can choose to filter them out. In this case only who really want to not see the rec games posts would go an extra step. I really like the 3 options in the script solutions posted above.
ImageAll hail, the king of aoc! Image

Tyrant_DauT
 kw1k000000

1649 (55%)

Postby  kw1k000000 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:54 am

The script solution hides them but still those posts do not get marked as seen. So you end up in a situation that new posts counter is like 40 but you don't see anything.

Tyrant_DauT
 kw1k000000

1649 (55%)

Postby  theCraigert » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:35 pm

I think a "Filter Recorded Games" Filter is already enabled. But it doesn't work.
18:33 - jeowaypoint: noodles for nubs, you can live off of deer and luring boars
 theCraigert

1639 (47%)

Postby  []Mascot » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:32 pm

Thanks for script Seth!
 []Mascot

Postby  SethGecko » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:55 pm

08 Jun 2017, 10:54 GMT » kw1k000000 wrote:
The script solution hides them but still those posts do not get marked as seen. So you end up in a situation that new posts counter is like 40 but you don't see anything.

True. It's the same without the script too, though. Even posts you have already read, stay in "View new posts" for some time, so marking them as read is no way to make them disappear.
 SethGecko

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  kw1k000000 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:44 pm

This forum has become only a scheduling forum in recent 5-6 months. Currently there are 5 pages of scheduling posts and with the number of tournaments going on its not going to be less. There is no discussion about games or any other topics because its hard to find anything which you might be interested in.

Using the forum for tournament organization is perfectly fine but it renders it unusable to rest of the users. Hence, is there anything we can do about my suggestion in OP?

Tyrant_DauT
 kw1k000000

1649 (55%)

Postby  robo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:50 pm

Don't you love seeing the (australia) Straya (australia) flag every day?
 robo

1706 (51%)

Postby  LetsImprove_ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:01 pm

24 Jul 2017, 12:44 GMT » kw1k000000 wrote:
This forum has become only a scheduling forum in recent 5-6 months. Currently there are 5 pages of scheduling posts and with the number of tournaments going on its not going to be less. There is no discussion about games or any other topics because its hard to find anything which you might be interested in.

Using the forum for tournament organization is perfectly fine but it renders it unusable to rest of the users. Hence, is there anything we can do about my suggestion in OP?

so true
 LetsImprove_

1782 (44%)

Postby  ZeroEmpires » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:10 pm

Yep, it's a bit of a mess. Would be good to allow for some filtering, even if limited, to help encourage discussions.
 ZeroEmpires

Postby  smarthy_ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Agreed. #robosux
 smarthy_

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions